Wednesday 16 July 2008

In the middle of the night

Tuesday - a quiet evening in, plodding around the flat, doing bits and pieces on the computer, doing the washing, loading the dishwasher, high octane stuff! But I'm not tired and I'm putting off going to bed. Finish chatting to a friend on the computer around midnight and wonder what to do next.

The problem is solved for me. The phone rings. 0208. It's a rail job! Can we provide a bus for 0035 Eastleigh to Portsmouth Harbour via all stations?

I'm practically out of the front door before we've finished the call. 0035 is half an hour away, I'm in the centre of Southampton heading for my car. I tell them to expect the bus 10-15 late but it'll be there.

Halfway to Eastleigh Wimbledon Control ring back - double checking I know which stations I'm serving - I reel off Hedge End, Botley, Fareham, Portchester, Cosham, Hilsea, Fratton, Portsmouth & Southsea and Portsmouth Harbour from the top of my head and they seem happy.

I drive to Eastleigh - quickly run into the office, round to the yard, open the gate, I need 303 - it's at the back with V7 and V14 in front. Start 303, pull the DAFs out, drive 303 out, put the DAFs back - it's messy but they are out the way for the moment - out through the gate, lock the gate behind me, round to the station and I'm there at 0036!

You never know with rail rep passengers. Sometimes they're jolly and happy that you're there to get them home. Sometimes they're just stroppy because they've been turfed off a train unexpectedly - and I can't really blame them.

Tonight there is a distinct lack of cheer, but they're not going to spoil my mood! It's a quiet, still, calm night, hardly any traffic, beautiful driving conditions and a beautiful bus. The miles slip away effortlessly.

Hedge End - half a dozen noisy youngsters off - peace reigns. Botley - no-one. Turn round and a nice bit of country driving down through Curbridge and Burridge to Swanwick and into Fareham - one off, no-one else in sight. Good progress along the A27 to Portchester - one off, that was a surprise. A few more off at Cosham, really no point going to Hilsea cos there won't be anyone either on or off, but its what SWT want and that's what they'll get. But I was right. All the rest off at Fratton bar one who stays on til the bitter end. 1 hour 15 mins end to end - doesn't seem too bad really.

Back in the yard at 0230, quick chat with one of the truck drivers who's turned up to start work - likes to go early morning so he's finished by lunchtime - and I'm out by 0245 after a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

No comments: