Monday 8 June 2009

China Wight

The crossroads of humanity is the cafe in Eastleigh Bus Station. All of society converges there, and the greatest way to pass a few minutes is to sit and eavesdrop the world's conversations.

Today while Ant and I were enjoying a leisurely lunch, we became aware of the two chaps at the table next to us discussing a recent visit one of them had made to the Isle of Wight. In particular they were discussing Blackgang Chine, a family attraction on the south side of the Island, named after the natural landmark of the same name. The discussion mostly centred around what a great attraction it was, and indeed the loveliness of the Island as a whole. Then it took a slightly unexpected twist....

A: I wonder why it's called Blackgang Chine.
B: I don't know, it sounds a bit Chinese to me
A: Yes I agree. But the Isle of Wight is British isn't it?
B: Yes, I think so
A: So why would somewhere like Blackgang have a Chinese name then?
B: I don't know, maybe its just got Chinese owners

And with that settled, they got up and left!

4 comments:

bucket trucks said...

Usually when you think of busses you think of the bright yellow ones that you used to be forced to ride on the way to school but not anymore. Although busses are still primarily focused on bringing transportation to a large number of people at a time, they are now shifting their attention to building busses made for luxury and style. They are comfortable and fun to ride and drive.

cogidubnus said...

When I think of busses, I consider Mistress Quickly and her generosity of spirit...I certainly don't think of some cheap and shabby vehicle manufacturer whose identity rhymes so well with (oh hell don't go there...)...

You really reckon anywhere in Eastleigh is the crossroads of humanity? I reckon that's the cafe overlooking Pool Valley, Brighton... by god the contrasts you see and hear there...

By the by I do recommend the buck rarebit...best I've ever tasted in over 50 years...

Phil Stockley said...

When one's entire universe is encapsulated within a 10 mile radius of Eastleigh, I'm happy to claim the bus station cafe as the centre of humanity!

But then again, I'm overdue a trip to Brighton...... ;)

ajay said...

Thanks for your information…

Faniani Coaches bus rental service is a leading transportation company, providing coaches, buses and minibuses at affordable prices. We offer modern, comfortable and safe coaches within Swiss and other European countries.

Party bus rental