Saturday 7 June 2008

Keeping track of who reads this

I wonder who reads this blog. Is it possible that someone from South West Trains does? In particular, someone who works at Wimbledon Emergency Control Centre (or whatever it's called?)

When the 0208 number appeared on my phone, I was one step ahead of them. I said to Taz straight away, "it's South West Trains"! You'd have been proud of me!

Now I have previously described the control office in Wimbledon as South West Trains Wimbledon Emergency Control Centre, then suggested that that is not it's real name.

I wasn't really paying enough attention (too busy gloating) but I am pretty sure that the very friendly lady on the other end of the phone introduced herself - in a slightly mischievous tone of voice - as South West Trains Wimbledon Emergency Control Centre, so either I got the name right due to a freak accident, or someone reads this blog and put her up to it (maybe she does herself)!!

Or maybe of course I'm deluding myself and she didn't introduce herself as anything of the sort - but she sounded very nice, so I'm prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt! She did tell me her name as well but in the heat of the moment I forgot that! If it was you, or someone you know, prove it by introducing yourself as Wimbledon Choo Choo Crisis Control next time you ring!

Anyway, to all those at SWT WECC, (or WCCCC as you prefer), I'm sorry you decided you couldn't use us on Wareham - Weymouth in the end. It would have been fun. And Ant and I were sat in our buses, all psyched up and ready to go when you stood us down, but it didn't really matter in the end. Better luck next time! And while I'm on, big grovelling apologies for missing your call at midnight 20 on Friday morning! Don't know how that happened, but as it happened we couldn't have helped anyway, but it would have been nice to have been able to tell you that in person. My bad!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it would have been fun and I was sad we didn't get to go and play trains again - but a secret part of me was glad as the slightly unknown route was a bit disconcerting to say the least . . .

Phil Stockley said...

I must admit today's events (and the added disappointment of a further call within the last 10 minutes for Wareham - Weymouth tonight that we just can't respond to) have resolved me to go and find Moreton and Upwey stations sooner rather than later!

Adam D said...

I like your descriptions of the vehicles you use, my local independant company, Whippet Coaches, is also dependant on Volvo B10M Deckers.
I love them personally!

Adam D said...

Sorry to double post-just so happens the best B10M decker at Whippets is also called 303...strange or what, but it is good on hills too...

Ian said...

Moreton station is relatively easy to find - if coming from Wareham you take a right at the roundabout where the Weymouth road goes off (B road to Affpuddle)and just keep going - the road crosses the railway line at a level crossing a few miles on)

As to Upwey - no clue, sorry.

Phil Stockley said...

Thanks but I was thinking about it in the context of going from Wool to Dorchester. It seems logical to use that road in the other direction having left Moreton en route to Dorchester, but how to get from Wool to Moreton? Is there a more direct way than going to that roundabout and double running?

Anonymous said...

Upwey is easy to find.....

It's along Littlemoor Road from the Preston direction of Weymouth, and left into there along the narrow road, going slowly so you don't get hurt by the speed humps. Not too sure if you can turn a bus around in there though!

To get to Weymouth station from Upwey, continue along Littlemoor Road, left onto Dorchester Road on the A354... I can't believe no one apart from me knows all this!!!