Tuesday 1 April 2008

Alls well that ends well (awwwh!)

Today started with a bit of a ticket machine disaster.

Took 02 out on the 0708 Botley - Eastleigh. I must admit I didn't check the ticket roll, but I knew it had plenty in it yesterday so wouldn't have been top of my mind.

Get to first fare-paying passenger at Hedge End Co-Op - asks for a weekly. Awesome, £12 in the bag and I've hardly started! Press the 'issue' button and nothing comes out! Open up the ticket machine and peer into it from several different directions but no, there's definitely no ticket roll there!!! Check around the cab and there's no spare knocking around either. Obviously I don't carry one myself because I'm not that organised.

Now I'm well cheesed off 'cos I know someone further up the route had a weekly that expired yesterday, so that's another £12 I was looking forward to and can't now collect.

So off I go, selling singles (while apologising for no tickets) and asking return passengers to keep their money and pay when they come home.

I usually meet the 0720 Eastleigh - Botley between Haskins and the Texaco garage. Today I'm in luck - Matt's stopped at Haskins as I pull up opposite. And he's got a spare ticket roll! Only downside is it's in his rucksack. His rucksack is so big the bus practically needs a trailer to carry it! So, with our two buses blocking the traffic in both directions (sorry, traffic!) I run across the road and start rummaging around in his rucksack. Several hours later, success!!!

The two weekly ticket buyers both decide to buy their tickets from me as they get off the bus, so I still get the £24! It's looking up! Turns out to be an ok trip revenue-wise, I just look totally unprofessional!

Taz and I then head off on a secret mission for a bit - more anon perhaps. In our absence, the operation proceeds mostly without hitch.

I managed to do my good deed for the day/week/year on the 1750 trip. Jamie was driving, with Louise riding with him to 'learn the route'. I wave him off on time, a minute later one of our regular customers comes bowling up to the stop, frustrated at just missing him. Luckily, I had 309 spare on the wall. So a quick call to Louise, Jamie pulls up at the third stop down the route, I chase after him with regular passenger and pass her over, so she gets home on the 1750 after all!

1 comment:

Dennis Dash said...

Good evening Mr S. Saw 309 heading down Derby Road about 6 O'clock; just assumed that you were taking it home or something !!!

You're not a bus driver until you've fallen for the no ticket in the machine problem - and as you say it's always on a return or period ticket, never a single.