Sunday 18 May 2008

I love Delays!

If ever there was a band with a name with worse connotations for the transport world than "The Delays", I'd like to meet them!

However, all jokes aside, The Delays are truly an awesome band. It so happens they are from Southampton, but that was irrelevant when I first started following them in my Cheltenham days - it's pure coincidence that I now live in their home town - but it's amazing how many people even here have not heard of them, or have heard of them but don't know anything about them.

A couple of weeks ago, they released their new album "Everything's the Rush" - their third major album - and it's fantastic. Last night, they played live at Southampton Guildhall. They were brilliant - loved every minute. I've seen them live previously in London and Portsmouth, and they were really good both times, but for some reason last night they seemed on a different level.

The performance was jumping from beginning to end, with a slow bit in the middle when they sang one of the song's on their latest album - "Pieces" - which just tears me apart! Very emotional and brilliantly performed!

I don't know what else I can say about them - I think you get the message! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Delays have an 'alternative' following amongst Radcliffe & Maconie listeners on Radio 2 - I recall Mark Radcliffe waxing lyrical about them almost five years back on Radio 1 when the first album was out, before selecting 'Nearer than heaven' as the record of the week.

So people do know, just not the whole world!