Sunday 18 May 2008

Sunday driver

It fell to me to do the Sunday duty on the 8 today! It was Steve's turn on the rota, but we were tight last Tuesday so I did a deal with him that he came in then on his rest day, in exchange for which I'd cover his Sunday turn. What that was supposed to mean of course was that I would find someone to do his Sunday duty, but there was nobody really available and interested, and to be honest I didn't try all that hard because I've fancied a day on the 8's ever since we got the contract!

Turns out it's exactly as most of the drivers have said - a really enjoyable duty. Four hours plodding up and down between Hythe and Southampton, half an hour off, then the same again on a very nice enjoyable steady route, half countryside, half urban.

One of the highlights was the bloke who got off in Hounsdown and said "that's a lovely bus you've got here - I take it it's brand new?" He was really shocked when I said it was 8 years old but newly refurbished. V12 it was - a very smooth effortless steed for a 10 hour shift. These DAFs really are awesome buses to drive.

The break is in Hythe Multi-Modal Interchange (aka the ferry yard) from 1339 to 1414. There was a chalkboard in the entrance to the ferry saying "no ferry at 1410 - Sunday break!" I don't know if this happens every week, but there is definitely a 1410 in the timetable. I wonder how our customers would react if we decided to cancel a journey with such casual nonchalance. Never mind the Traffic Commissioner.

"Dear Customer, there will be no buses for the next hour or so. We can't really be bothered. Tough!"

Not impressed! I kind of hoped this might push some business my way, since people would turn up in droves to catch the ferry, and then on learning of their stupidity for daring to turn up for an advertised sailing that happened to coincide with lunchtime, divert their attention to the lurid purple bus parked immediately adjacent with "Southampton" on the front, but sadly those few who did wander up seemed content to shuffle off down the main street, presumably feeling too abashed to dare venture into Southampton after realising their mistake.

All in all though, a very enjoyable day. I think I'll go to the pub to celebrate - haven't been in there for weeks and weeks!

No comments: